Many travelers have a layover in Chicago because they have connecting flights to go somewhere else. People travel like that because it’s either cheaper or that’s the only way to get to your final destination. ORD is one of the busiest airport in the world and offers flyers thousands of destinations. Layovers can be often a pain and we will try to make your travel easier and pleasant.
People always worry when they have a layover in Chicago. For some, the time may be too tight to catch the next flight. On the other hand, others have too many hours as a cushion. Chief Chicago Limo understand the anxiety and frustration of having a layover in Chicago. We will try to help you better handle the situation, get familiar with your surroundings and make your travel pleasant and easier.
We are #1 Chicago airport car service and we care about your experience while in our city. What to do in Chicago airport during layover is no longer a question for you.
Do You Stay On The Plane And Can I Leave The Airport?
99% you will have to switch planes. In some cases, though very rare, your aircraft might only land to refuel and you will not be allowed to leave your seat.
You can leave the airport if you are flying domestic. When flying international, check the visa requirements for that country. At O’Hare international airport, if you leave the secured area and decide to board again, be ready to go through the security and check-in processes again.
During A Layover In Chicago, Do You Have To Recheck Your Luggage On Connecting Flights?
Ask the airline or your travel agent just to be sure. It depends on where you are coming from and where you are going to.It depends if
Some of our patrons have flown in on an international flight and has had a domestic connection. They had to recheck their bags. Customs will clear you at Terminal 5 and from there you will have to carry your luggage to T1, T2 or T3.
Other clients arrive from Latin America and their point of entry in U.S. is Miami or New York. Their bags have been automatically cleared at the first point of entry and transferred to their flight to Chicago.
Have in mind that with connecting flights, there is a chance to have your bags lost or delivered next day.
Short Layover In Chicago
Is 45 minutes enough time for a layover in Chicago? We would say no. That’s very tight and may put you on the edge or even miss your connection. Try to schedule domestic connecting flights with at least 1.5 hours cushion time. For international flights, leave at least 2.5 hours. Planes almost never arrive as scheduled. Instead, your first flight may land later, while your connecting flight catches up in the air and arrives almost 1 hour earlier. That is often the case with planes flying in from the East Coast or from closer airports. Another problem is getting from one terminal to the other one. International flyers may experience huge delays while being processed and cleared at immigration and customs.
Even 3 hour layover at Chicago O’Hare airport is considered to be a short layover. That’s why we always recommend you plan well your trip.
Things To Do During Your Layover At Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
A short layover in Chicago do not leave you much choices but to spend time at the airport. Anything below 4 hour layover in Chicago we call it a short layover. However, there a few things you can kill time with, entertain yourself or just rest.
- Eat or/and have a drink at the airport– You can find some fast food places at ORD. Chicago Style Hot Dogs and Garrett Popcorn shops are some of them. There are a few upscale dine-in restaurants as well.
- Shop at Chicago O’Hare Airport– Chicago ORD is a large international airport which means you can find lots of shopping opportunities. Save some money at the duty-free shops. Liquor and cigarettes are a steal when traveling internationally. There other stores selling, sunglasses, jewelry and technology.
- Yoga at O’Hare– O’Hare has a yoga room at Terminal 3. Stretch after a long flight or simply meditate. Beginners can learn some poses from the Yoga TVs available.
- Hit the gym at the Hilton Hotel in Terminal 2– Pay the fee to refresh yourself in the gym or just to take a shower after a long day of travel. The facility also offers lap pool sauna and Jacuzzi.
- Treat yourself at the Spa– There are spas at every terminal offering massages, manis, pedis and facials.
- Walk around and enjoy the art– If you do not have enough time and simply walking between the terminals, enjoy the Chicago public art displayed on the walls or the sculptures and murals placed here and there.
A long layover in Chicago gives you more flexibility and quality options to spend your time. 4,5,6,10 and 12 hour layover in Chicago can be turned into a small getaway. Many travelers choose to waste that opportunity by staying at ORD because they do not know what to do during a long layover in Chicago. But you can book a Chicago limo tour and explore all the city’s attractions in half a day. We will try to make your trip easier by giving you some tips.
- Visit Rosemont, IL when you have at least a 4 hour layover in Chicago. The village is only 2-3 miles from O’hare and has incredible entertainment district. You can find some of the best restaurants there. Avoid the overpriced food at the airport and spoil yourself with an upscale meal. Let’s say you have a 6 hour layover in Chicago. Then you can also go shopping at one of the biggest outlets in the states or watch a movie.
- Visit Chicago when you have at least a 10 hour layover at O’hare international airport. Travel time is approximately one hour. You can go by train ( the blue line), taxi, or hire a quick limo tour and go through all the attractions in a few hours. You can cover lake Michigan, Magnificent mile ( Michigan avenue), Millennium park, Wrigley Field, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, the Chicago River, Willis Tower and the Cloud Gate.
About Chief Chicago Limo
We are TripAdvisor’s #1 rated limousine and car service company for the Chicago area. In addition to that, we are striving to make your travel easier and give you some tips to experience our city in the best way possible. This is how we understand the business and create long term relationships with our clients.